Food Service Permits and Inspections

Food & Lodging Business Licensing, The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA), Food and Consumer Safety Bureau and other contracted local health departments with DIA issue permits and inspect establishments that serve food. 

Food Stand Operations - What you need to know. This resource reviews permits, food safety measures and the types of food that can be sold at food stands. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, November 2014

Home-Based Kitchen Operations: Regulations and Food Safety Course. Learn Iowa laws for home bakeries and exempt home food operations. 


Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division

Winery Licensing, Contact to obtain an alcoholic beverage license and permits. Separate licenses are used for off-premise and on-premise consumption of beer, liquor and wine. 


Animal Exhibitor Licensing (Petting Zoo)

Animals are protected under the federal Animal Welfare Act (AWA) and overseen by USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Farm animals at agricultural shows, fairs and exhibits are exempt from licensing. Exhibiting farm animals for nonagricultural purposes including petting zoos may need to be licensed. Animals not commonly kept on U.S. farms, such as camels, must be licensed.

The Animal Welfare Act does not regulate horse shows. Animals kept in a wild state for game preserves, hunting preserves or similar businesses are exempt. Hunting events are not regulated.

Animal Welfare Act Licensing Application